Delinquent Tax Returns

R&S Tax Service Questionnaire Useful Tools Tax Stories Delinquent Tax Returns

Filing Delinquent Tax Returns

Taxpayers should file all tax returns that are due, regardless of whether or not full payment can be made with the return. Even if taxes are owed, a taxpayer may qualify for a payment plan.

Facts About Filing Tax Returns

  • Failure to file a return or filing late can be costly. If taxes are owed, penalty and interest charges can increase your tax bill by 25 percent or more.
  • If you delay filing, you can lose your refund.  Tax returns must be filed within a specified period of time.
  • If you are self-employed, you must file returns reporting self-employment income within three years of the due date in order to receive Social Security credits toward your retirement.

NOTE: Taxpayers who fail to file a required return and fail to respond to tax agency requests for a return may be considered for a variety of legal actions.  Flagrant nonfilers or repeat nonfilers may be subject to additional penalties and/or criminal prosecution. 

California Tax Returns

An individual must file a return if either their gross income or their adjusted gross income (AGI) was more than the minimum amount defined by law.

Part-Year residents must file a return if they have any income taxable by California, which includes income from all sources while a resident and California source income while a nonresident.

Nonresidents must file a return if they have any California source income and their income from all sources is more than the filing requirement amounts for residents.

Forgot to File or Pay Taxes

If you missed the filing deadline for filing your income tax returns, R&S Tax Service can help. Don't loose sleep or expend needless worry, whether business, corporate, or personal tax returns have not been filed. Here's what you can do:

  • Organize your accounting and tax records. Obtain any missing tax forms from past employers and payors of income.
  • Have supporting documents to claim all your tax deductions.
  • Get your tax returns prepared and filed through R&S Tax Service.
  • Overwhelmed by an older tax debt? Let us investigate and resolve your tax debt with an effective course of action.

Contact R&S Tax Service so we can help you. Filing sooner, rather than later, can help you solve a multitude of personal and financial problems plus reduce future penalties and interest you may owe.